Reminder: Roads Up North Are Closed (or Closing Soon)
December 30, 2014 at 12:05 am
Our bosses at the Arizona Department of Transportation are reminding everyone that seasonal road closures are in effect in Arizona's high country. From the ADOT press release:
• State Route 67 between Jacob Lake (US 89A) and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park was closed Dec. 1.
• State Route 473 to Hawley Lake was closed Oct. 16 for draining of the lake and dam repairs. It will remain closed for the winter.
• State Route 261 between Big Lake and the State Route 260 junction is scheduled to close on Tuesday, Dec. 30.
• State Route 273 between Sunrise Park Resort and Big Lake will close Dec. 30. The four-mile-long portion of SR 273 between SR 260 and Sunrise Park Resort will remain open to provide access to the ski area.
• A portion of State Route 366 that leads to Mount Graham near Safford was closed for the winter on Nov. 15. The closure is just beyond the turnoff to the Shannon Campground. ADOT may need to close more of the scenic highway, also known as “Swift Trail,” at lower elevations as necessary to allow for snow removal.
Additional information for motorists during the winter season can be found on ADOT’s “Know Snow” Web page at azdot.gov/KnowSnow.
Before heading out on the roads, drivers are encouraged to call 5-1-1 or log on to ADOT’s Traveler Information Center at az511.gov for the latest highway conditions around the state. The website features images along state highways that give drivers a glimpse of weather conditions in various regions.
(Photo: Kim Gray | North Rim, Grand Canyon)