By Annette McGivney | Photo by John Burcham
Located just a mile from the Grand Canyon’s South Rim, Hull Cabin offers convenient access to the national park but is a world away from the bustle of Grand Canyon Village. The 128-year-old cabin was originally the home of 19th century sheep rancher William Hull and a pit stop for tourists on the stagecoach route to the Canyon. It then became a ranger station and, after falling into disrepair, was recently restored by the Kaibab National Forest as part of the Rooms With a View cabin-rental program. The three-room structure, which retains the original log walls made from ponderosas that were cut in 1887, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The guest book on the hand-hewn wooden dining table in the well-equipped kitchen includes positive comments about how much visitors from all over the world enjoy frontier life at this off-the-grid oasis (no cell service or electricity): playing board games by the glow of propane lanterns, sipping coffee on the front porch, seeing a coyote slip across the gravel driveway and hearing the wind whistling through ancient pines. “Time passes gently here, instead of with a roar,” Nancy wrote. “We are so blessed for experiences like this that draw us closer to our souls.”
Hull Cabin is located 16 miles east of Tusayan off Forest Road 307. For more information, call 928-638-2443 or visit www.recreation.gov.