WHAT: Women in the Spotlight for Women’s History Month
WHEN: March 1-31, 2023
WHERE: 3830 N. Marshall Way, Scottsdale AZ 85251
Representation of Women and Women Artists at Western Spirit:
● The Gather: A Portrait of the American West by Scott T. Baxter - Features many impactful photographs between 1998 - 2023 of American women ranchers and cowboys from across the American West.
● The Fran and Ed Elliot Southwest Women Art Collection - One of the largest donations of female artworks ever gifted to an American institution, this exclusive exhibition is on permanent display and features over 300 works from 25 gifted female artists. All 25 artists whose works grace the collection have a connection to the state of Arizona, having either resided, studied, or worked in Arizona. Their works have illustrated books and calendars, decorated china and glassware, and even became the imagery for jigsaw puzzles. Some of the artist’s works displayed include Lillian Wilhelm Smith (1882-1971), Marjorie Reed (1915-1996), Jessie Benton Evans (1866-1954), just to name a few. Look for an upcoming interview with local artist Myrna Harrison, now in her 90s, another artist represented in this collection.
● Light and Legacy: The Art and Techniques of Edward S. Curtis - A remarkable photography exhibition by visionary photographer Edward S. Curtis who saw the importance of honoring Indigenous People on film. Over three decades, Curtis created thousands of images, audio recordings, and the earliest motion pictures of Native Americans, all while making tremendous contributions to the art and science of photography. Native American women are the subject of many of the photos in the collection.
● Canvas of Clay: Hopi Pottery Masterworks from The Allan and Judith Cooke Collection - Among the historic and contemporary masterworks are 18 ceramics by Nampeyo of Hano, the most famous of the Hopi potters, as well as works by 22 additional master potters including Nampeyo’s daughters and other descendants.
● Various additional notable artworks, images, and other artifacts by and of women throughout Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West.
Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West Social Media: Twitter @SMoWest, Instagram @smowest, Facebook @scottsdalemuseumwest.